Tuesday, April 12, 2005

[in a different light...]

Fell very ill a few days ago, due to some food poisoning (totally my own-doing, *embarassing enough to admit that hehehe...let’s just say this sweet someone *wink wink* didn’t know that tuna fish shouldn’t be left in the fridge inside its can and that the cheese spread she used had expired some days back...hmmmm...wonder who this person could be...can you guess? :P) 

Anyways, suffered through dehydration as a result of constantly vomiting over 20 times within one hour, diarrhea included (hey, I’ve spared the details, believe me)...and was feeling pretty desperate being alone in the room (bathroom included) and didn’t have the power to come out and knock my flat mates’ rooms for help. Didn’t want to bother them anyway. 
Thought, ‘just one more time, and it’ll be over’...yet, the next rounds of sickness kept coming, and my misery seemed endless... 

Good thing I had my cell phone to my rescue, could only sms my friend (who was somewhere in central java, yet I was certain would respond to my message in no time) who gave me my moral support (thanks). 
Funny how I was hesitant to bother my brother who was in town, yet heading for the airport; my flat mate who was having her friend over; my other flat mate who I knew was studying; another friend who I thought was preparing for his exams the next day; and another friend who I tried to call yet seemed unreachable at the moment. 
Plus, was actually waiting for (and a bit nervous) about a pretty important (formal) phone call for my thesis work some minutes back (which just added the agony). 

Was then convinced that the only hope was my studying-flat mate who turned out to be my life-savior. 
Boy was she quick on her feet. She managed to get the cab, contact our neighbour who had actually been to the hospital (can’t tell you how grateful I am now realizing that we live only 5 minutes away from the national hospital here), helped me get all my necessities (student pass, passport, wallet, and of course...vomit-free equipment :P), get me to the emergency room and accompanied me the whole way through. 

The hospital was all up and about as well (makes you want to ensure this same service would be accessible in your own home town, hmmm...the only way is to make that happen I guess, yet that’s a different posting :)). 
Was hospitalized for a day, the doctor put me on I.V, injected some stuff and had me rest. He said it could have been close... 

And my flat mate, Bing, was there the whole time, waiting in the waiting hall (continued studying of course ;), took me back home, and was even kind enough to cook some steam egg (you can only imagine how much gratitude my mom had conveyed when she spoke to Bing on the phone). Yup, can’t thank you enough, Bing. 

Felt silly not to think I could have counted on her. 
Felt silly to think I was on top of things. 
Felt silly not to take damn good care of myself. 
Felt silly to think I knew it all. 

Yes, it was close, yet God still spared me my life. 
Alhamdulillahirrabbilalamiin... 


-moenlite- 
[when you least expect the bang...] 

*picture: 
'Shadow Sparrow', Leslye Bloom 
Mixed Media, 2004

No comments: