Wednesday, September 21, 2005

baby goes to school














We had a very interesting seminar yesterday.
The World Bank launched its annual 'World Development Report', presenting the theme on ‘Equity and Development’.

The two main authors came to present the Report at our school. Afterwards, there was a ‘case study presentation’ of the same topic, focusing on Vietnam. My professor (who is also my thesis supervisor) was the one presenting. Turns out, his parents were in town visiting and got a chance to attend his talk. What impressed me was that he introduced them in the beginning of his talk and telling us how happy he was to have them there. I think that was very sweet and nice of him. They seemed really proud and happy :)

After the talks, I got a chance to have lunch with the authors and my (other) professor, along with some other students, from the junior class. It was a very nice and fruitful lunch I must say.

My friend Rani also attended the seminar, and brought her 6 month old son-Noe-along. He has actually attended several seminars before, so Rani seems to have mastered the ‘skills’ of bringing a baby to seminars. She would sometimes stand near the exit so that if he makes some noise, she can attend to him quickly without disrupting the seminar.
I was quite impressed. What impressed me more was that Noe was actually very very quite during these talks.
I know I wouldn’t dare bring my niece or nephews like that (especially at Noe’s age), as they’d be ‘presenting’ their own ‘speeches’ during these occasions :) Yes, I love them very much, and yes I’ve taken them places, but a seminar room would be the last place on my mind to take them hehehehe (I know my niece Reina will be reading this with a smile. Hi dear! Miss you and Zaky so much :)

I know I rarely put up day-to-day pictures in this blog, but this time I just couldn’t help it. So do look into this set of pictures if you’re interested to see how it went (it was during the Vietnam seminar, and the café on campus we went to after the talk).
But my favorite picture is the one in Rani’s photo album. I think the scene says it all ;)

Okay, now I’m off to write my thesis.

Cheers!
-moenlite-

*picture

3 comments:

Rani said...

hey thanks for writing about the day! i enjoy it too. on bringing baby to school: well, every seminar visit won't be the same because my baby keeps growing. when he was younger, like 4 months, he's even more manageable. now he needs a lot of distraction to keep him amused and silent. i should write about it in my blog as well.. but i don't have time! this week is supposedly mid semester break, but i have so many assignments that i don't feel like a break at all

Anonymous said...

Hi auntie!

I've been to a seminar too, but that time it was in mama's school when I was eight and Zaky was five years old. Mama can't leave us alone at home, so she had to bring us with her. I was so bored, but at the end of the seminar, they gave us some snack.

.moenlite. said...

Rani:
I see you have some of the pictures in your blog now :)

Reina:
Hi Sayang!

Wow...I didn't know that...well I wouldn't be surprised, you're mother was teaching in the university at the time, right? I'm happy Zaky and you didn't cause trouble for your mother during the seminar!:) Glad to hear you enjoyed the snacks ;) hehehe

Everyone, this is my 9-year-old lovely niece, who is very technology-savvy btw! :)

Do tell me how the 'evacuation' was during Hurricane Rita, I'm so glad everything was okay for you and your family.
I'll try to call you after I finish my thesis, dear!

[Hugs+kisses]