Sunday, November 21, 2004

in the lines of learning

Am thinking about taking some Mandarin lessons, and even discussed it with my Chinese flat mate (she’s promised to help practice)...but I think looking at my ‘history’, I’d need to really consider before taking the jump.

What history? Hehehe...yes, I have quite a ‘long’ and ‘dark’ record of lessons-taking (mind you that some *of course* were not completed)... ;)



As a sneak preview, here’s some (am just thinking if I missed anything):

Swimming: 3rd grade, I always had this theory that swimming tutors are quite mean...but at least mine cheered (only) when my parents came by :P

Bali dancing: attended once...just for the fun of it hehehe

Karate: twice, every time I was going to go to the next ‘Belt’ (read, was always the white belt level :P)...we moved houses hehehe

Subject tutoring: Math and Chemistry, I just loved my teachers. Gave me excuse to not study at home afterwards hehehe :P

Theatre: hahahah...I bet you don’t believe me if I said I was in some plays when I was younger :P hehehehe

Reciting the Quran: its sort of one of those never ending lessons, even after my teachers (yes, changed teachers so many times) say I’m already quite okay, but as you can guess...Mother knows best :P hehehe (Yes Bunda, I mean it in a good way ;) hehehe...)

Tennis: was really enjoying it....but I remember falling sick (dengue was it?) and needed to do the lessons 'almost' all over again....sigh...though am still a very big fan in playing it

Arab language: got confused...might do it again some later time in life (hmmm that might be around...now?)

English: at LIA, completed ;)...I wonder if it was more to do with my mom's threat that I might as well not continue school if don't do those lessons (hmmm...I wonder why that sounded like a threat??? :P)

Advance Writing: AMINEF, finished that, but maybe only because I did it together with a very determined Fitri :)

GRE: twice, and still haven’t really gone through the test :P

French: too many times, in many different places, in many different methods...and still can’t really speak it hehehe

Driving: I think I drove my tutors (this includes my dad, a friend, our driver and a real tutor) crazy...and I ended up being able to drive...almost 4 years after I got my license. Let’s just say, ‘getting the license’ is not such a big deal where I come from...but...at least I can say I had enough ‘sanity’ not to use it until it came to point that busses and ojeks (and brothers) were not very feasible options for my daily trips :P

Computer: did it once when I was in Junior High.....can't believe we were to memorize all those syntax languages...and now see where technology has brought us ;)

(thought about singing lessons...) those who've heard me sing will probably laugh at this idea...or...perhaps frightened? :P

(thought about cooking lessons) I wonder if God is giving me subtle ‘signs’ with my very excellent cooking-skilled flat mates?

(thought about drawing lessons...) hmmmm...

(am still very much interested in taking 'sushi making' lessons :D) yummy....(loh?)

Piano: (yes as an adult), really enjoyed this one. The teacher was excellent (and patient hehehe ya kan, Reynold? Bravo! :) I even did a recital (yes with a bunch of kids not even half my age...sigh) and really enjoyed it!

Jazz Ballet: this time Fitri was not very determined...I think I had gotten the better of her :P

Kickboxing: was sooooo enthusiastic, almost fainted during the first class (plus the place was just too far away from my apartment)

Yoga: had to quit, I was constantly sleeping....well, wouldn't have been such a big problem if I weren't taking the classes around the last hours of working...

Squash: took several lessons, just needed to find more time and convince myself to actually get to the court (plus actually gather some friends to join..) was really really nice though...

Fitness: hehehe...just too many different places. The best one was the latest place in my office building. The place was very close (the same building, gitu loh..), I really liked the setting, and I took a ‘set package’, with a particular target, plus the instructor was very patient (bravo Lisa!).

Self Defense: this time completed, did the course with a really nice bunch ;)

Salsa: managed half-way, but was a lot of fun ;)

Stata course: (its this data crunching tool) Well, the company arranged for it, so...no way lah...hehehe

So...hmm...Mandarin? hehehe we’ll see how that turns out...;)

-moenlite-

*picture:
Maskrosvacker, Klas Smeby

No comments: