irregular beats
A junior of mine from college casually asked me over MSN and I quote: “Isn’t your mother worried, that you’re 26, pursuing your dreams and not married yet?”
I must say it totally shocked me. Well, not only did I not expect such a question from someone I’m not that close with, but moreover because such an idea had not ever crossed my mind. However, the answer was clearly there, “No, why should my mom worry?”.
Its funny that sometimes ‘getting married’ would seem like the ultimate goal in life, especially if you come from a communal society where people know other people’s business and sort of keep track of it in their agendas. Okay, I must admit, questions have been asked, and I must be a fool to admit that I always assumed it was just small talk? Though I suppose they’d be more worried if I had rushed into anything of the sort, and then suffer...which of course defeats the purpose of ‘living happily ever after’, right?
I mean, okay...fine, you get married, then what? You’re supposed to enjoy the rest of your life (yes, it is supposed to be for that long) patting your back saying “Congratulations, you’ve reached it?”
No, I think there’s more to it than that.
I believe (yes, though not from personal experience) that life goes on after you’re married. Either you decide to concentrate fully on your family, or manage both a family and a career; life doesn’t simply stop just because you've found the love of your life.
Yes, we were told that Cinderella and her Prince Charming had ‘lived happily ever after’. But should we keep being shortsighted and stay aloof of what happens afterwards?
My best best friend got married recently, and I must say it was pretty much a jaw-dropping experience watching them unite in matrimony...they were just the perfect couple. I had witnessed the making of the beautifully laid plans of their wedding and though I could not make it for the reception, saw the video of the ceremony, and was deeply touched.
And now afterwards, are they supposed to simply be reminiscing their wedding day over and over again? Well, you know what? They continued being normal people and continued their lives, of course now adding each other as a higher stakeholder and all.
Now, I might risk to be called old-fashioned and naive, but if you’re still waiting to find that special someone, don’t you think it’s pretty reasonable that you continue your life and perhaps ‘Pause’ when it happens, and then simply press ‘Play’ again afterwards?
What do you think?
-moenlite-
picture:
"Rhythmic Composition in Yellow Green Minor."
Roy De Maistre, 1919, Art Gallery of New South Wales.

3 comments:
You're absolutely right.
I'm sure there is a 'right man' for you somewhere out there.
Just a matter of time...
Before 'the time' comes, keep working, keep going for the goal and keep praying.
But when 'the time' comes...just follow your heart.
Don't worry, you can press 'play' again whenever you want, but this time it will play a new song with a new melody and arrangement..which will be -still- as sweet as an old one.
Linda
You're absolutely right
I'm sure, there is the 'right man' for you somewhere out there
Just a matter of 'time'
Before 'the time' comes, keep working and keep going for the goal
But when 'the time' comes...just follow your heart
Don't worry, you can press 'play' again whenever you want,but this time, you will play a new song with a new arrangement and melody which will be -still- as sweet as an old one
grrr,it's so sad,yet so true.They think our ultimate go0al should be to get married and keep a hubby happy.No,I dont think so.
Post a Comment