rainbows in my head
I saw a rainbow today. Yup, was on the back of my hand.
Well it was actually the sun reflecting through this glass wall I was sitting against, at the bus stop this afternoon. I know you’ll say its only one of those natural phenomenon that happens in every day life. Well, I forgot the details of how it occurs, something explained to me by my science teacher years years ago.
Yes, it was a very simple sight but somehow it got me smiling and remember an event sometime ago. Another rainbow. A real one this time.
……
My niece was playing over at our house, and it would be quite a while before her mom, my cousin, would be coming back to fetch her. She was pretty bored, sleepy I think. So I said something to her.
“Reina, let me show you something.”
She got excited and curios, “What, Auntie?”
“Here, come out, I’ll show you.”
We went out.
‘You see there, there’s a rainbow up there.’
‘A rainbow? You mean where there’s…..(frankly I forgot her question, it was about a fable or something…pretty interesting what runs in little kids’ minds)
And by the sight of it….she just jumped up and down, in leap of joy. I was more surprised than she was I think. Its amazing to see her astonished to realize that you can actually see a rainbow in real life. Well, she was only 5 years old, and had all the names of the animals in her head, had known how to read and just started to write. So I didn’t realize that I’d be the one to introduce to her, her first rainbow ever.
You think of rainbows very lightly at my age. Its just one of those….how do you call it? Yes, natural phenomenon :) But for a 5 year old, its serious business. Its magic. And in fact, it became a very magical experience for myself. You know, to show the world to her :) and unveil such wonders to my beloved niece.
And then, when I came to visit their house the next day, her 3 year old kid brother came to me with a curious look and a sense of intrigue.
“Auntie, I also want to see a rainbow”
“Okay.” Hmmm…and how exactly can I do that??….
Zaky is one of those intelligent kids (like his sister) but is pretty shy and very polite. He’d never push you to get something. So how could I say No?
“Okay, tell you what, I’ll show you next time you come over to our house.”
Hehehe, you know-lah….just so that they’d ask their Mom to drop them over. I just love their visits. Sometimes, they’d ask us to pick them up, and we’d be there at once :)
But, good thing it was the rainy season. I looked outside, and there was one, in their own porch, in their own sky. So Zaky got the delight of seeing his own rainbow.
And you know what, I don’t see rainbows the same ever since. :)
-moenlite-

1 comment:
I saw a full beautiful rainbow only once in my life, it was years years ago in my hometown, your story truely make me smile, beautiful :-)
Post a Comment